In 1907, the visionary teacher, Stylianos Koutoupis (1874-1945), inspired the cooperative idea. This idea was formalized in the spring of 1915 by the registration of the Greek Olive Oil Co-operative in Petrina, Laconia, as the first "Petrina Agricultural Cooperative".
The Petrina Agricultural Cooperative was founded in 1915 in the homonymous village, located on the eastern slopes of Mount Taygetos. However, its original idea dates back to November 1907, when the founding members were 58 and the activities were mainly supply-side operations. In 1936, founded by the Cooperative, the first Hydraulic Olive Oil Factory in Greece, consisting of a laundry and a washing machine for olives and an oil refinery.
In 1938, a common crush was introduced by mixing the fruit of the harvests in the tradition of the mill, thus avoiding the harvest remaining for a long time to be oiled, which resulted in the production of high quality olive oil, with very low acidity. Most importantly, joint crushing, storing and selling brings about remarkable social cohesion.
From 1948 onwards the total production of olive oil is stored in privately owned tanks of the Cooperative, at a controlled temperature away from light and air.
The 1953 initiative to establish the Health Fund follows that of the Road Fund, with the aim of opening and maintaining rural roads. The revenue of the latter is covered by an annual percentage contribution on the production of each partner's olive oil.
In its course the Cooperative is distinguished by numerous certificates. It is characterized by the ELOT EN ISO 9001: 2008 Management System and the Food Safety Management System, according to ELOT EN ISO 22000: 2005 for the production and standardization of olive oil.
Last but not least, the development and implementation of an Integrated Management System in agricultural production, which meets the requirements of Agro 2.1 and 2.2.
The Petrina Rural Cooperative has a modern factory, with machinery of the last generation and with the capacity, without heat processing, four tons per hour. The stainless steel storage tanks have a capacity of 500 tonnes, and are housed indoors, fully controlled temperature and photoprotective. Our Cooperative has a modern, certified printing company, ensuring the quality of our exceptional olive oil so that it reaches our consumers safely.