Petrina's agricultural cooperative
In 1907, the clairvoyant teacher, Stylianos Koutoupis (1874-1945) inspired the cooperative idea. You formalize this idea in the spring of 1915 with the registration in the Official Gazette that was founded in Petrina, Laconia, the first oil cooperative of Greece, the “Agricultural Cooperative of Petrina”.
The Petrina Agricultural Cooperative was founded in 1915 in the homonymous village, located on the eastern slopes of Mount Taygetos. However, the initial idea of its establishment dates back to November 1907, when its founding members numbered 58 and its initial activities were mainly of a supply nature. In 1936 he founded by the Cooperative, the first Hydraulic Olive Oil Factory in Greece, which consists of a laundry and washing machine for olives and an oil refinery.
In 1938, joint pressing is introduced by mixing the fruit of the partners during delivery to the mill, thus avoiding the fruit remaining for a long time to be oiled, which led to the production of excellent quality olive oil, with very low acidity. Most importantly, jointly squeezing, storing and selling brings about a remarkable social cohesion.
From 1948 onwards, the total olive oil production is stored in the Cooperative’s privately owned tanks, at a controlled temperature away from light and air.
The initiative of 1953, for the creation of a Health Fund, is followed by that of the Road Construction Fund, with the aim of opening and maintaining rural roads. The income of the latter is covered by an annual percentage contribution on the produced olive oil of each partner.
In its course, the Cooperative is distinguished by a variety of certifications. Characteristic are the one from the Management System ELOT EN ISO 9001: 2008 as well as from the Food Safety Management System, according to ELOT EN ISO 22000: 2005 for the production and standardization of olive oil.
Finally, it is worth mentioning the development and implementation of an Integrated Management System in agricultural production, which meets the requirements of Agro 2.1 and 2.2.
The Agricultural Cooperative of Petrina has a modern factory, with state-of-the-art machinery and with a capacity of unheated processing, four tons per hour. The stainless steel storage tanks have a capacity of 500 tons, and are located in covered areas, fully controlled temperature and photoprotection. Our Cooperative has a modern, certified standardization, ensuring the quality of our excellent olive oil so that it reaches our consumers safely.